    SubjectRe: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Olivier Galibert wrote:

    > - "A small demo which sends a simple sinusoidal wave to the speakers"
    > requiring close to 900 lines is demented. That's the size of
    > glxgears.c, with 50% of that one being printer support. A complete
    > smartflow example getting a sound stream on the network and playing
    > it with oss takes 160 lines, with 20 lines of copyright-ish at the
    > start. The actual sound part of that is _30_ lines.

    The pcm.c file shows you 7 available methods how you can send audio data
    to alsa-lib. It's complete example. If you remove the parsing command
    line, sine generation, error handling, you'll end with few lines too.

    > - Error and state handling after writei changes depending on the call.
    > We're supposed to guess which one is correct?
    > Make simple things simple, guys.

    Yes, we should stay with simple 1.0 linux kernel. Anyway, we're taking all
    points from this discussion.

    Jaroslav Kysela <>
    Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
    ALSA Project, SUSE Labs

      Last update: 2006-01-05 16:36    [W:0.020 / U:1.676 seconds]