SubjectRe: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Olivier Galibert wrote:

> - "A small demo which sends a simple sinusoidal wave to the speakers"
> requiring close to 900 lines is demented. That's the size of
> glxgears.c, with 50% of that one being printer support. A complete
> smartflow example getting a sound stream on the network and playing
> it with oss takes 160 lines, with 20 lines of copyright-ish at the
> start. The actual sound part of that is _30_ lines.

The pcm.c file shows you 7 available methods how you can send audio data
to alsa-lib. It's complete example. If you remove the parsing command
line, sine generation, error handling, you'll end with few lines too.

> - Error and state handling after writei changes depending on the call.
> We're supposed to guess which one is correct?
> Make simple things simple, guys.

Yes, we should stay with simple 1.0 linux kernel. Anyway, we're taking all
points from this discussion.

Jaroslav Kysela <>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SUSE Labs