    SubjectRe: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Heikki Orsila wrote:

    > Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 03 January 2006 23:10, Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
    > > 2) ALSA API is to complicated: most applications opens single sound
    > > stream.
    >
    > > FUD and nonsense. I've written many DSP applications and very often I can
    > > recycle the same code for use in them.
    >
    > I've long ago stopped using ALSA API because it is broken. But if you
    > wanted to make ALSA usable by real people you might considering adding 3
    > functions (there are ~300 already so not much loss):

    This sentence makes this in my mind: real people = lazy people. The error
    codes are documented well. Also, aplay in the alsa-utils package has
    good error recovery code including test pcm.c utility in alsa-lib.

    > err = alsa_simple_pcm_open(nchannels, sampleformat, samplingrate, frames_in_period /* 0 for automated default */ );
    > err = alsa_simple_writei(); /* handless signal brokeness automagically */
    > alsa_simple_close();

    Well, it's better to create only "fast parameter setup" and "default error
    recovery" functions.

    > Basically ogg123/mpg123 like applications would only need 3 alsa calls.
    > Now everyone reimplementing their own buggy versions of simple mechanisms.

    While "official" examples exists for a long time. Also, we already noted
    that we are not best documentation writers, but everytime when we ask for
    help we hear nothing from other people.

    Jaroslav

    -----
    Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
    Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
    ALSA Project, SUSE Labs

      Last update: 2006-01-05 15:27    [W:0.024 / U:89.212 seconds]