    Subject[OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    Date
    On Tuesday 03 January 2006 23:10, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
    [snip]

    > 2) ALSA API is to complicated: most applications opens single sound
    > stream.

    FUD and nonsense. I've written many DSP applications and very often I can
    recycle the same code for use in them. Here's an example, abstracted,
    commented, handling errors from the subsystem, in just over 100 LOC.

    http://devzero.co.uk/~alistair/alsa/

    The API is really _only_ complicated because it expects you to set things OSS
    either can't handle or doesn't allow you to configure. Things that very often
    an application will eventually care about. All this for the sake of 5 minutes
    reading documentation, and each API call almost identical in design.

    Personally, I found the lack of documentation for some of the setup API
    annoying, but it's since been rectified and each call is humanly
    understandable.

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
    Third year Computer Science undergraduate.