SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

> 2) ALSA API is to complicated: most applications opens single sound
> stream.

Seconded.

> 3) ALSA kernel architecture is to complicated. This main reason why
> configuring sound on Linux is SO COMPLICATED. From my system:
>
> # lsmod | grep ^snd | wc -l
> 19

Why would you, or the "Desktop User Joe" using Torvalds-advertised KDE,
care about how many modules are loaded?

Splitting code up to make things more modular is A Good Choice most
of the times. There is, however, one point in which you have reason:
if the overall modular structure is bigger than a mono one, then it's
indeed "complicated".

> ALSA is also requires much more bigger code size than OSS variant
> (count all snd* modules size, jackd and libasound and compare this with
> OSS modules and user space OSS library size). Simillar is on allocated
> memory in all system sound components.

jackd does not count - ALSA works without it.

> Many task switches incurred by the current ALSA architecture
> add quickly up to perceivalble deleys during processing. In many cases
> sound must be handled with RT piorites so all code sise must possible
> small for handle this with minimal latency.
>
> 4) ALSA mixing model is UNSECURE by design because all mixing sound
> streams (for example with diffrent sampling rates) are performed
> in user space.

I'd rather have libasound segfault rather than my kernel oopsing, in case
someone forgot a NULL check.

> Also using jackd also "creates problems" with RTing this proccess and
> much more bigger problems on configure stage (for joe user).
> All this can be handled in secure and proprer RT prioprities
> ONLY on kernel space (so all gaming mith jackd or so is plain waste
> of time). Only on kernel level is possible correctly handle all this.
> With ALSA you can't extend in esy way for example SELinux for prevent
> intercept sound streem from microphone by remote user. Current OSS API
> is much more better for SELinux.
> Why ? because all mixing on OSS is performed on kernel level.

AFAICS, OSS does not do mixing at all in its current state.

Jan Engelhardt