SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:54:48 +0100
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:

> Note that as of OSS emulation, this is no longer true. The OSS
> devices are opened as "non-blocking" per default. ALSA native devices
> are opened as "blocking" just to keep the compatible behavior,
> though.

Hi Takashi,

do you know of _any_ app relying on this behaviour? If not, make
blocking open and blocking read/write different things (as they really
are different things). Maybe create a /proc control, so users can revert
to the olde behaviour if there really is any need.

I simply cannot imagine that any ALSA app relies on this weird
behaviour. I only ever hear how it confuses people [Hang out a bit on
#alsa on irc.freenode.org: "my alsa driver is broken as this and that
app hangs!!!" - "no it's expected behaviour" - "WTF!!!?" ;) <- smiley].
It is also still quite a common case i suppose as when an OSS app has a
device open, the ALSA apps trying to open it in blocking mode will again
hang. Or so i'd think. My soundcard is hw mixing capable (thank god ;)),
so i don't really know, and it's been a while since i hang out regularly
on that channel. If i talk out of my ass, let me know.

Regards,
Flo

  Last update: 2006-01-04 19:21    [W:1.190 / U:0.080 seconds]