SubjectCD writing - related question
Please take this as a question to elicit information, not an invitation
for argument.

In Linux currently:
SCSI - liiks like SCSI
USB - looks like SCSI
Firewaire - looks like SCSI
SATA - looks like SCSI
Compact flash and similar - looks like SCSI
ATAPI - looks different unless ide-scsi used

Was there a reason, a technical reason, why the minor blotches in
ide-scsi weren't fixed so that everything could look the same and share
the same device naming form? The DMA issue is solved for blocks, and
several people have stated to the list that the remaining issues could
be solved in minimal time. Seeing no disagreement, I'll assume that's true.

There are separate IDE drivers for disk, tape, floppy, and CD, and the
only reason I ever heard was that ide-scsi adds overhead. I did some
tests using a mighty Pentium-II 350, and there was no overhead with disk
or CD (within the limits of measurement). So there's no huge CPU
penalty, why then the decision to have the separate ide drivers?

The last time I tried, there was one thing which didn't work quite right
doing ZIP drives unless ide-scsi was used, and MO drives don't seem to
work any other way, but I haven't tried since about 2.6.6 or so, that
info could be dated.

This is NOT an argument for change, it may be a reminder that ide-scsi
is not unused, I just never saw any technical reason mentioned.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)