    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
    [..]
    >> Solaris, AIX ..
    >> Full list is avalaible in "Operating System" listbox on
    >> http://www.4front-tech.com/download.cgi
    >
    > Are all those Operatings Systems that include OSS per default, no
    > additional download required? Because that's what he's asking for,
    > not what you can get OSS for.
    >
    > Since that link is a _download page_ it makes me think that it's
    > an _additional download_ to get OSS support on those (or some of
    > those) operating systems.

    So start another "it makes me think" and imagine that in Solaris case
    using drivers not provided directly on distribution level is NORMAL habit.
    Why ? Bacause Solaris have well defined kernel API (from many years in
    some common areas it is constants which makes
    Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt from Linux tree piece of crap). This
    allow use device drivers prepared first for example for older kernels
    (8,9) on latest (10). I.e.: Solaris 10 inroduces stop supporting some
    older network cards (IIRC for old SMC cards). I know people which still
    uses this cards on Sol10 by using binary drivers prepared for older
    Solarises without visable problems. Also many device drivers have double
    versions (one from distribution resouurces and second provided by device
    vendor).

    Summarize: stop looking on sound subsystem problems as Linux specyfic and
    assume that THE SAME problems exists on other unices in so simillar form
    so is possible thinking on OSS support on kernel level details in the
    same forms as on other unices. Linux case isn't so unusual in this area ..
    it is VERY typical :>
    If you will take this as true you can start looking on OSS API on Linux
    from correct point of view.
    And start asking ALSA people: why using OSS API in other unices
    simple works and it ins't problem and on Linux "it was so big problem
    that reinventing sound support in ALSA form was neccessary" ?

    kloczek
    *Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
    Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl*

      Last update: 2006-01-04 02:41    [W:4.289 / U:0.000 seconds]