    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    Thomas Sailer wrote:
    > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 20:37 +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone reported that? Also what's the exact bug symptom?
    >

    > Many people reported this on various mailing lists, but I'm not aware of
    > any bugzilla/whatever ticket.
    >
    > Problem seems to be that ALSA/OSS does not report the true HW sampling
    > rate, but tries to do the sample rate conversion by itself, but
    > apparently not doing it good enough for modem type applications.
    >
    > Anyway I find it not a good idea of alsa to try to do sample rate
    > conversion in kernel for OSS, as the native OSS drivers never did this,
    > and it is useless for software (like soundmodem) that tries to find out
    > the hardware rates in order to adapt to them. Kernel resampling badly
    > interferes with this.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > PS: I was too lazy to investigate this in depth, it was easier to just
    > add a native ALSA driver to soundmodem.

    You can switch off ALSA's sample rate converter with a line like the
    following:
    err = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_resample(this->audio_fd, params, 0);

    The zero switches off the alsa-lib resampler.

    James

      Last update: 2006-01-03 23:41    [W:2.127 / U:1.056 seconds]