    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

    >> Even if Adrian's not trying to make this point (he's just removing duplicate
    >> drivers, and opting for the newer ones), we accepted ALSA into the kernel.
    >> It's probably about time we let OSS die properly, for sanity purposes.
    > Avoiding bloat is more important.

    given that the ALSA drivers are not going to be removed, isn't it bloat to
    have two drivers for the same card?

    yes, an individual compiled kernel may be slightly smaller by continueing
    to support the OSS driver, but the source (and the maintinance) are
    significantly worse by haveing two drivers instead of just one.

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2006-01-03 15:09    [W:0.018 / U:58.188 seconds]