    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Tuesday 03 January 2006 14:47, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

    > It strikes me that it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. Vendors are still
    > releasing applications on Linux that support only OSS, partly due to
    > ignorance, but mostly because ALSA's OSS compatibility layer allows them to
    > lazily ignore the ALSA API and target all cards, old and new.

    As long as it works why is that a bad thing? OSS API works just fine
    for most sound needs. If you want to do high end sound you can still
    use ALSA.

    > Additionally, we can't get rid of OSS compatibility until pretty much all
    > hardware has an ALSA driver, and (inferred from your comment) we can't get
    > rid of OSS drivers until nothing supports OSS, because the whole of the ALSA
    > stuff is a bit larger...

    We can never get rid of it.
    Linux doesn't break widely used application interfaces.

    > Even if Adrian's not trying to make this point (he's just removing duplicate
    > drivers, and opting for the newer ones), we accepted ALSA into the kernel.
    > It's probably about time we let OSS die properly, for sanity purposes.

    Avoiding bloat is more important.

      Last update: 2006-01-03 14:54    [W:0.020 / U:33.304 seconds]