    SubjectRe: GPL V3 and Linux
    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:42:24 +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch said:

    > With the exception that I *can* circumvent the protection on PDFs *if*
    > I'm legally allowed to copy the copyrighted work (with or without the
    > owner's permission - this is one reason for a legal copy. But there are
    > others which cannot be inhibited by the copyright holder - which is
    > usually not the artist).

    Actually, in the US, it is in fact illegal to bypass a protection scheme
    *even if the content is something you have legal rights to*.

    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00001201----000-.html

    17 USC 1201(a)(1)(A) says:

    (A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively
    controls access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained
    in the preceding sentence shall take effect at the end of the 2-year period
    beginning on the date of the enactment of this chapter.

    The rest of 1201(a)(1) talks about getting an exemption, good for 3 years only,
    to allow you to bypass a control for a non-infringing use.

    Got that? You have to apply for special permission to bypass to get data that
    you have rights to use....

      Last update: 2006-01-27 04:13    [W:0.025 / U:0.180 seconds]