    On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 06:55:07PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:

    > > I believe that if you added Linux 2.6 support code in libscg/cdrecord,
    > > that'd simply accept the device name as an argument and didn't use *any*
    > > scanning code at all, you'd make a lot of people happy (*). Quite possibly
    > > everyone minus one man. Which would be a great achievement.
    >
    > Since Jens does not seem available anymore do you know how one is
    > supposed to do the cdrom-ish device enumeration at that point? Is HAL
    > the official kernel interface to that now?

    The kernel interface is sysfs and hotplug.

    Udev interfaces that and can be set up so that it assigns
    /dev/cdrecorder0, 1, ... to evey recorder in the system, implementing
    the userspace interface.

    HAL interfaces the above and implements the desktop interface.

    So for a GUI application it's appropriate to use HAL, while a command
    line program doesn't need any enumeration, as 'ls /dev/cdrecorder*'
    should be enough for an experienced user.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR