Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

> Well, you need to implement 30 (or so) platform-specific ways to get a
> list of devices, and portable applications aren't going to do that. To
> make it explicit: no way. It is a maintenance nightmare, 30 lowly-tested
> pieces of code, too.

It already works in libscg since nearly 10 years.

> This sounds like a huge difference, but I don't believe it actually is.
> Jörg is trying to fight the system rather than stop complaining to users
> about their using /dev/hd*. The scanning code is there and can be made
> working with little effort probably.

Talking about /dev/hd* ignore the basic problem. Show me a way how to
send SCSI commands to a ATAPI tape drive on Linux.

Please do not forget that libscg is OS _and_ device independent.
Implementing /dev/hd* support at all is already a concession that did go to far.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)