    SubjectRe: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?
    "Theodore Ts'o" <> wrote:

    > I thought in the case we were talking about, the problem is that we
    > have a setuid program which calls mlockall() but then later drops its
    > privileges. So when it tries to allocate memories, RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
    > applies again, and so all future memory allocations would fail.
    > What I proposed is a hack, but strictly speaking not necessary
    > according to the POSIX standards, but the problem is that a portable
    > program can't be expected to know that Linux has a RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
    > resource limit, such that a program which calls mlockall() and then
    > drops privileges will work under Solaris and fail under Linux. Hence
    > I why proposed a hack where mlockall() would adjust RLIMIT_MEMLOCK.
    > Yes, no question it's a hack and a special case; the question is
    > whether cure or the disease is worse.

    Maybe, I should give some hints...

    RLIMIT_MEMLOCK did first apear in BSD-4.4 around 1994.
    The iplementation is incomplete since then and partially disabled (size check
    for mmap() in the kernel) on FreeBSD as it has been 1994 on BSD-4.4

    FreeBSD currently uses a default value of RLIMIT_INFINITY for users.

    I could add this piece of code to the euid == 0 part of cdrecord:

    LOCAL void
    struct rlimit rlim;

    rlim.rlim_cur = rlim.rlim_max = RLIM_INFINITY;

    if (setrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK, &rlim) < 0)
    errmsg("Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.");
    #endif /* RLIMIT_NOFILE */

    -- (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin (uni) (work) Blog:

      Last update: 2006-01-25 16:37    [W:0.021 / U:7.464 seconds]