SubjectRe: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?
"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> I thought in the case we were talking about, the problem is that we
> have a setuid program which calls mlockall() but then later drops its
> privileges. So when it tries to allocate memories, RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
> applies again, and so all future memory allocations would fail.
>
> What I proposed is a hack, but strictly speaking not necessary
> according to the POSIX standards, but the problem is that a portable
> program can't be expected to know that Linux has a RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
> resource limit, such that a program which calls mlockall() and then
> drops privileges will work under Solaris and fail under Linux. Hence
> I why proposed a hack where mlockall() would adjust RLIMIT_MEMLOCK.
> Yes, no question it's a hack and a special case; the question is
> whether cure or the disease is worse.

Maybe, I should give some hints...

RLIMIT_MEMLOCK did first apear in BSD-4.4 around 1994.
The iplementation is incomplete since then and partially disabled (size check
for mmap() in the kernel) on FreeBSD as it has been 1994 on BSD-4.4

FreeBSD currently uses a default value of RLIMIT_INFINITY for users.

I could add this piece of code to the euid == 0 part of cdrecord:

LOCAL void
raise_memlock()
{
#ifdef RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
struct rlimit rlim;

rlim.rlim_cur = rlim.rlim_max = RLIM_INFINITY;

if (setrlimit(RLIMIT_MEMLOCK, &rlim) < 0)
errmsg("Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.");
#endif /* RLIMIT_NOFILE */
}

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)