SubjectRe: anon unions are cool
Date
On Jan 23, 2006, at 22:39, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>> Then there is the other weird side where only the leaders of
>> thread groups are placed in sessions and process groups.
>
> That's not at all weird. It fits perfectly with the use of the tgid
> as the POSIX PID and the use of the "pid" (ugh) as the POSIX thread
> ID.
>
> Aside from POSIX just being arguably weird, the only weird things
> here are:
>
> 1. kill() not returning errno=ESRCH when it should
> 2. the name "pid" being used oddly in the kernel

And actually, my use of the task->pid member was correct. The "pid
virtualization" patches are virtualizing not only the process IDs,
but the thread IDs as well (the whole point is to provide completely
unique PID/TID spaces, so everything needs to be virtualized). In
any case, it was just a poorly chosen example (because that
particular virtualization bit was not necessary). I agree with you
that the kernel's behavior is weird, but it has its reasons and a lot
of history. If you think it's that important, a cleanup patch
(assuming it's not too intrusive) would probably be welcomed.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw
knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.