SubjectRe: kernel freeze on 2.4.32, apparently in cached_lookup
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:13:12PM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
[...]
> What seems strange in your report is that the kernel freezes.
> The only part in cached_lookup() which could freeze IMHO is
> when it calls d_lookup(), but for this, you should have a
> closed loop instead of a linked list. It could happen with
> some memory corruption, but you would get far more oopses
> and panics than freezes. For this reason, I believe you
> might have some random problem on your filesystem. Could
> you run a full fsck on it ?

fsck finds the filesystem is clean; I ran memtest
overnight when I built the machine and it didn't find
anything. Nick's suggestion that it could be a temperature
problem is also interesting; I've added another fan to the
machine and I'll see if that helps matters; if not I'll
try memtest again.

--
``It's not a bomb. It's a device that explodes.''
(possibly-apocryphal statement by French spokesman,