    SubjectRe: first bisection results in -mm3 [was: Re: 2.6.15-mm2: reiser3 oops on suspend and more (bonus oops shot!)]
    On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 15:48 -0800, john stultz wrote:
    > On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 00:04 +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
    > > On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 02:27:14PM -0800, john stultz wrote:
    > > > difficult spot is that if the cpufreq notification driver is a module,
    > > > then there will always be a window between the point at which we start
    > > > using the TSC to the point where we find out that the TSC is changing
    > > > frequency. Not sure what to do here just yet.
    > >
    > > I was wondering if you could force an do_gettimeofday call quite early
    > > in order to lower tsc priority as soon as possible, but maybe I'm not
    > > entirely into that code :)
    >
    > Well, it isn't do_gettimeofday that needs to be called, but we need a
    > way to decide if we should call tsc_mark_unstable(). Currently we do
    > that when we get a cpufreq transition notification if the cpu's TSC is
    > not constant. The problem being: on your system, that notification
    > isn't called until after the cpufreq driver module loads. This is of
    > course, after we've started to use the TSC.
    >
    > If the cpufreq driver loaded earlier, or we had some other way of
    > checking if the TSC was not constant, we could call tsc_mark_unstable()
    > then.
    >
    > We'll probably have to do a manual check like what the cpufreq driver
    > does early on so we can have this info before we install the TSC
    > clocksource. I'll let you know when I have a patch to try.

    Mattia,
    Just to verify I'm not barking up the wrong tree here, could you try
    building w/ CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y instead of as a module?

    This should force the cpufreq driver to load earlier, and hopefully
    we'll get a notification earlier as well.

    thanks
    -john

      Last update: 2006-01-25 01:19    [W:3.859 / U:0.100 seconds]