    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] the scheduled removal of the obsolete raw driver

    >> > OTOH, if this database actually does have a better way, and its mature
    >> > and proven, then I see no reason to cripple the database people just to
    >> > remove what is viewed as a potentially dangerous path to the media
    >> > surface for the unwashed to abuse.
    >> The database people have a newer and supported way to do that, via the
    >> O_DIRECT flag to open(). They aren't losing any functionality.
    >And they'll no doubt update to use it on their cycles of development.
    >Which for some large vendor systems means five years.

    "The main reason there are no raw devices [in Linux] is that I personally
    think that raw devices are a stupid idea." (Linus Torvalds, 17 Oct 1996) (wikiquote)

    That stands, but a raw driver found its way in someday.

    (And now luckily is on its way out again.)

    Jan Engelhardt

      Last update: 2006-01-22 22:56    [W:0.038 / U:74.700 seconds]