SubjectRe: BTTV broken on recent kernels
Bob Gill wrote:

> Alistair John Strachan wrote:
>
>> On Monday 16 January 2006 02:05, Bob Gill wrote:
>>

>>> Hi. The last several kernel versions have led to broken bttv (up to 4
>>> or 5 kernel versions ago, I could watch tv on either mplayer or xawtv),
>>> but lately bttv is broken. My card is an 'bt878 compatible built by
>>> ATI
>>> (ATI TV Wonder VE). I'm pretty certain it worked as late as
>>> 2.6.14-git7. I've peeked around /Changes and didn't see anything.
>>> I'm
>>> using the same build script as before, and a piece of lsmod shows
>>> serial_core 14848 1 8250
>>> rtc 9524 0
>>> tuner 36908 0
>>> bttv 148564 0
>>> video_buf 15748 1 bttv
>>> compat_ioctl32 1152 1 bttv
>>> i2c_algo_bit 7432 1 bttv
>>> v4l2_common 6528 2 tuner,bttv
>>> btcx_risc 3720 1 bttv
>>> ir_common 7812 1 bttv
>>> tveeprom 12304 1 bttv
>>> i2c_core 14864 4 tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom
>>> videodev 6912 1 bttv
>>> snd_emu10k1 94628 2 snd_emu10k1_synth
>>> ..........also, a chunk of lspci shows:
>>> 0000:00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game
>>> Port (rev 07)
>>> 0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
>>> Video Capture (rev 02)
>>> 0000:00:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
>>> Capture (rev 02)
>>> ....it's just that I get a blank (screen blanking due to no signal)
>>> screen when I start a tv application. I can try to change
>>> channels/tune
>>> frequencies, and it looks like the applications are trying, but nothing
>>> gets tuned in. To be fair, I must mention that I *ahem* taint the
>>> kernel with Nvidia stuff, and recently upgraded gcc (although it has
>>> always worked well with tainted kernel, and it broke before I upgraded
>>> gcc (to gcc version 4.0.2) on Debian Sarge.
>>

>> This problem sounds suspiciously like an overlay bug, known in the
>> binary NVIDIA driver. Please try changing it to "nv" in XF86Config,
>> then restarting your TV application..
>>

>>> If you *really* want, I can revert XF86Config to use non-nvidia
>>> drivers (and revert back to the old
>>> version of gcc) and give a bug report from that, but I suspect things
>>> will remain broken. Mplayer compiles very well with the new version of
>>> gcc, and the new kernel (buit with the new version of gcc) does
>>> everything else (sound, firewire, cd/dvd/networking, disk I/O etc.)
>>> without problems.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Bob
>>>

> Alistair, Lee: thank you for your replies. Sadly the bug is in the
> Nvidia binary. Changing the driver to nv from nvidia did resolve the
> issue. Now I have to decide whether I like accelerated 3d more, or
> using the tv tuner more (till Nvidia fixes the driver). Thank you for
> [...]

Not that I would recommend the binary nvidia driver, but:

You can probably get bttv to work despite this overlay bug by using
"grabdisplay" mode instead. There is an option for it in xawtv. The
difference is, in overlay mode, the capture card is writing directly to
videoram. Using grabdisplay mode eliminates this optimization, and
would be a decent workaround for you.

Hope this helps,

Michael

--