SubjectRe: Development tree, PLEASE?
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 00:22 -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
>> It makes maintenance a real nightmare
>> for atleast one environment in which I maintain production systems
>
> Why do you keep having to upgrade the kernel on production systems, if
> the old kernel does what you need?

But it is missing all security updates.

What I am currently doing to workaround this problem:

- using Debian Sarge on my production servers as a base
(good packages, but kernel is just too old)
- Kernel 2.6.12 from Ubuntu Breezy (taken as source, not binary packages)

This way I have at least a working kernel (2.6.8 does not work on my newer
boxes) and the security updates from Ubuntu, getting kernel updates with
only little changes and low update-risks.

Mainstream kernel is just unusable when you don't have the time to verify
the lots of changes in production environments.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)