SubjectRe: Development tree, PLEASE?
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:33:38PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> As long as it isn't wash rinse repeat, but in development kernels it tends
> to be. That's the pain point. It's not one single huge problem, it's the
> constant stream of little ones that we try to avoid.

So what you're basically saying is that we should make zero changes
to the kernel, because any change (even a minor bug fix) may cause
you to need to do some work. Should we just increment the version
number every 3 months then?

Maybe we could do this _if_ folk would stop working on the kernel,
wanting it to run on their latest creations.

The fact is that in the ARM world, everyone wants a stable kernel
which has support for all the features in the SoC de jour that
they're using. That previous sentence is self-contradictory - it's
an impossible scenario. You can't have a kernel which supports the
latest features without progressive and continuous change.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core