SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.16-rc1
Date
Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:19:56 -0800 (PST),
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> escribió:
>

>>Anyway, it's out there now. The ShortLog is pretty readable - if you are
>>into that kind of stuff - but as usual for an -rc1 release (which has all
>>the frantic merging going on), it's actually too big to post on the kernel
>>list due to the size limits. It's weighs in at 4000+ lines and 169kB.
>

> Can I ask if it's possible to "mark" new features/important changes?

New features are easy, they usually result in changes to the config
file. You can learn a lot with "diff" that way.

However, you really need to read the patches to see what they are
supposed to change. That's a long and thankless job, but it's a wiki,
right? So ask a few people to just look at parts of it and write
comments on what they see. Few for filesystems, few for networks, stuff
like that. And a few to look at "other."

If you do all the work it's not a wiki it's a blog...

> I've maintaining http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> for three releases and the amount of changes is so big it takes hours
> to extract the relevant changes, adding some special string in the
> description field could help to automate this process and make better
> changelogs.
>
> It's not only better for me, I also know there're more people ej: man
> page maintainers looking at the full changelogs to find out if
> something has changed. There're lot of nice things being merged on
> each release, but there's not a way to tell people that those features
> exist; even kernel developers don't really know what is going on in
> other parts of the kernel. A "useful" changelog is one of the few
> things the linux kernel has been missing for ages, IMO ;)

  Last update: 2006-01-20 00:44    [W:0.197 / U:0.532 seconds]