    SubjectRe: FYI: RAID5 unusably unstable through 2.6.14
    On Mer, 2006-01-18 at 11:15 -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
    > For example, one bad sector on a drive doesn't mean that
    > the entire drive has failed. It just means that one 512-byte
    > chunk of the drive has failed.

    You don't actually know what failed, truth be told, probably a lot more
    than 512 byte spec of disk nowdays.

    > We could rewrite the failed area of the drive, allowing the
    > onboard firmware to repair the fault internally, likely by

    We should do so definitely but you probably want to rewrite the stripe
    as a whole so that you fix up the other sectors in the physical sector
    that went poof.

    > Just need somebody motivated to actually fix it,
    > rather than bitch about how impossible/stupid it would be.

    Send patches ;)

    PS: How is the delkin_cb driver - does it know how to do modes and stuff
    yet ? Just wondering if I should pull a version for libata whacking

    Alan

      Last update: 2006-01-18 18:35    [W:3.015 / U:0.020 seconds]