    SubjectRe: udev/hotplug and automatic /dev node creation
    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:47:10AM +0100, Horst Schirmeier wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for documentation regarding how to write a Linux kernel
    > > module that creates its own /dev node via udev/hotplug.
    > > register_chrdev() and a simple udev/rules.d/ entry don't seem to be
    > > sufficient...
    > Yes, register_chrdev() will do nothing for udev.
    > Take a look at the book, Linux Device Drivers, third edition (free
    > online). In the chapter about the driver model, there is a section
    > about what udev needs. The functions it says to use are no longer in
    > the kernel, but it should point you in the right direction (hint, use
    > class_device_create().)

    Thank you very much, I'll look into this book and class_device_create().

    > If you have a pointer to your code, I can probably knock out a patch for
    > you very quickly.

    I have no doubt you'll be able to do that, but my primary intention is
    to dig into that myself :) thanks again.

    Kind regards,

    PGP-Key 0xD40E0E7A

      Last update: 2006-01-18 13:16    [W:0.020 / U:8.652 seconds]