    SubjectRe: Modify setterm color palette
    On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 01:15:23PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > drivers/char/vt.c: default_red, default_grn, default_blu
    >
    > You can also change them with `echo -en "\e]PXRRGGBB"`, where X is a hex
    > digit (range 0-F), and RGB are the components. Check console_codes(4) and
    > go figure. :)

    I for one prefer the standard VT100 yellow instead of brown, and I
    have an escape sequence to do that similar to the one you show above.

    However, there's one major flaw - programs recently (and by that I mean
    FC2-like recently) have started to do complete console resets, which
    result in the users settings being completely wiped out.

    For instance, I have:

    if [ "$TERM" = "linux" ]; then
    echo -ne '\e]P3aaaa00'
    fi

    in the bash login scripts. Run mutt 1.4 and that gets wiped out.
    Previous version of mutt (1.2?) didn't do this.

    So, in essence, this is a completely useless solution. I think we need
    a separate escape sequence to modify the system default so that peoples
    preferences do not get inadvertently wiped out by programs.

    (I have also considered writing a module to locate the default palette
    and "correct" it.)

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core