    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: PCI WiFi card works with livecd's but not with HD install with Ali mobo.
    Date
    On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:46, you wrote:
    > On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 14:45 -0300, Matthew Marshall wrote:
    > > On Saturday 14 January 2006 14:37, you wrote:
    > > > We can't help you with proprietary drivers on this list. Can you
    > > > reproduce the problem with no proprietary drivers loaded?
    > >
    > > I have a PCI Ethernet card I'll try with.
    > >
    > > Since bother drivers had the same result, and they both worked fine with
    > > another mobo, I thought it was a problem with the drivers for the mobo.
    > > But, I'll see if I get the same result with an untainted kernel.

    I tried it with both an Ethernet adapter (realtek) and a pci sound card
    (Creative SoundBlaster.) The Ethernet adapter works fine with both live-cd
    (slax) and hd-install (archlinux) but I can't get the the soundcard to work
    with alsa on archlinux. However, as it does play when using /dev/dsp2
    strait, this is possibly a different problem.

    I guess I'll go ask on the madwifi mailing list. Sorry about the noise...

    > Anyone know why the MadWifi site does not say up front in big letters
    > that it's just a GPL'ed wrapper around a proprietary HAL? To read the
    > Wiki you would think it's open source...

    My guess is that they're not to proud of that detail...

    Any way, I had forgotten about that. I suppose my 'same results with two
    different drivers' reasoning melts away with that.

    Thanks,
    Matthew Marshall

      Last update: 2006-01-14 20:07    [W:0.020 / U:1.060 seconds]