SubjectRe: Why the DOS has many ntfs read and write driver,but the linux can't for a long time
On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 12:53 -0600, David Nicol wrote:
> On 1/10/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@joe-job.com> wrote:

> > > No? Bounties seems to work fine for Asterisk. Is the problem, still no central
> > > linux kernel bounty system?
> >

> > Many bounties don't work because they are too low, too vague or both.
> > For example several months ago Ubuntu offered $500 to "fix all remaining
> > ALSA issues for PowerMac hardware". HA! That's like 5 or 6 diffent
> > drivers which ranged from not working at all, to sound works but no
> > system beeps, etc...
> >
> > Lee
>

> How did they offer this bounty? Through the ubuntu announcements channels?
>
> Like if, say, Linux International was to partner with TipJar.com to create
> and maintain an organized open bounty system where stakeholders wanting
> to see something could contribute to the pot for the feature and the first
> implementor who passes the tests (including code readability!) gets the pot.
>
> Write me off-list to become involved in this project or to direct me to
> an already existing project so I don't waste more time on wheel reinvention?

Heh, I only found out about it when some Ubuntu user mentioned it in an
ALSA bug report. I guess they just expect people to find them somehow.
So yes, there needs to be a single, central resource for OSS bounties.

I think a lot of these problems with the PPC drivers were later solved.
But my point was really that $500 was not nearly enough for the amount
of work that would have been required. It's a nice bonus for someone
who would have done it for free anyway but I was under the impression
that bounties were created to solve problems too tricky or unrewarding
or uninteresting for someone to do for free.

Lee

  Last update: 2006-01-12 22:07    [W:0.069 / U:0.084 seconds]