SubjectRe: Is user-space AIO dead?
--- David Lloyd <> wrote:
> Wouldn't nonblocking I/O on regular files be nice?
Yes it could be. As I understand it, regular file writes (not O_DIRECT) are only to the page
cache and only block when there is memory pressure (so it is more of a throttle).

Reads, on the other hand, could be quite handy. What might be very cool is if there were a way to
mmap and start faulting in the pages in the background, and get notified as they complete - or
when all the faulting is done.

Do You Yahoo!?