    SubjectRe: -mm seems significanty slower than mainline on kernbench
    Date
    On Wednesday 11 January 2006 23:24, Peter Williams wrote:
    > Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    > > That seems broken to me ?
    >
    > But, yes, given that the problem goes away when the patch is removed
    > (which we're still waiting to see) it's broken. I think the problem is
    > probably due to the changed metric (i.e. biased load instead of simple
    > load) causing idle_balance() to fail more often (i.e. it decides to not
    > bother moving any tasks more often than it otherwise would) which would
    > explain the increased idle time being seen. This means that the fix
    > would be to review the criteria for deciding whether to move tasks in
    > idle_balance().

    Look back on my implementation. The problem as I saw it was that one task
    alone with a biased load would suddenly make a runqueue look much busier than
    it was supposed to so I special cased the runqueue that had precisely one
    task.

    Cheers,
    Con

      Last update: 2006-01-11 15:32    [W:0.020 / U:118.188 seconds]