Subject64-bit vs 32-bit userspace/kernel benchmark? Was: Athlon 64 X2 cpuinfo oddities
Jesper Juhl wrote:

>On 1/10/06, Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday 10 January 2006 03:12, Jesper Juhl wrote:

>>Ah - how legacy.
>>

>Yeah, but since my distro of choice is 32bit only and I don't much
>feel like porting it myself or using an unofficial port (slamd64) I'm
>sticking with a 32bit userspace. And as long as userspace is pure
>32bit there doesn't seem to be much point in building a 64bit kernel.
>And I only have 2GB of RAM, so I don't have a use for the larger 64bit
>address space.
>I also don't run any apps that do a lot of math on >32bit numbers, so
>there's not much gain there either.
>I guess I would bennefit from the extra GPR's, but then I would at the
>same time loose a bit by all pointers being 64bit - both lose some
>disk space due to larger binaries and I'd have increased memory use
>and less efficient L1/L2 cache use.
>
>I don't think there would actually be much gain for me in switching to
>a 64bit kernel with a 64bit userspace atm.
>But if I'm wrong I'd of course love to hear about it :)

Has anyone done any actual benchmark tests that show 64-bit vs 32-bit
environments/distributions with Athlon64 processors. If so, I love to
see the results. I too elected to stick with 32-bit, using the same
reasoning/guessing above.

--
Jeffrey Hundstad