SubjectRe: 2G memory split
Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Martin Bligh wrote:
>

>>The non-1GB-aligned ones need to be disbarred when PAE is on, I think.
>>

>Well, right now _all_ the non-3:1 cases need to be disbarred. I think we
>depend on the kernel mapping only ever being the _one_ last entry in the
>top-level page table, which is only true with the 3:1 mapping.
>
>But I didn't check.

No. It works fine (or seems to) with 2:2 mapping. I've tested with these
extensively
and am shipping products on the 1U appliances with 2:2 and I have never
seen any problems
with 2.6.9-2.6.13.

The only unpleasant side affect with 3:1 is user apps seem to rely on
swap space
a little more than I like -- perhaps this is the side affect you are
referring to?

RH ES uses 4:4 which is ideal and superior to this hack.

Jeff

> Linus
>-

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans