    SubjectRe: MPlayer broken under 2.6.15-rc7-rt1?
    On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 13:12 +0100, jerome lacoste wrote:
    > On 1/1/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:
    > >

    > > > DO YOU REALLY PREFER USERS NOT REPORT BUGS?
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > So getting back to your question:
    > > I would say that I think it's generally better that bugs that cannot be
    > > reproduced on an untainted kernel are not reported on lkml, but reported
    > > to the vendor of the tainting module instead, simply because it's very
    > > likely that it'll waste precious debug time.
    >
    > Although I like the idea of making the vendors of binary modules
    > really aware of the costs they introduce with regard to debug issues
    > on tainted system, if I was them, the first thing I would say is
    > "contact the vendor of the part of the system that changed", i.e. the
    > kernel.

    btw you do have a point; should nvidia care if someone patches their
    kernel with the -rt patchkit, something which changes many rules inside
    the kernel. I'm actually surprised such binary modules work *at all*
    given how many of the rules have changed. (For source-compiled modules
    it's a bit less of a surprise since the api changes get compiled
    through, eg most of the cases the API stayed the same the ABI didn't ,
    for binary ones.. that only works if you're lucky I guess. Even for
    source modules several needed changes (just look at the -rt patchkit) ).

    To some degree, if you use binary modules and experimental patches, you
    are on your own; the module vendor is unlikely to care, but so are most
    of the developers of the patchkits.. (after all.. there is a good reason
    -rt has different rules, that is the whole POINT of the -rt patches,
    different rules to achieve the goal of extremely low latencies)

      Last update: 2006-01-01 14:31    [W:0.082 / U:0.008 seconds]