SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.13 buffer strangeness
Okay, just tested a couple of things, here's what I see...

I tested the write speed to the usb2 hard disk and got 21MBytes/sec. It's a laptop
hard drive, only 5400rpm so this is not surprising.

I did this test with my video capture app running, but just displaying data and not writing,

I have another laptop usb2 hard drive here which I just tested and got 17MBytes/sec - it's
a 4200rpm drive so again not surprising numbers.

The video data is written as individual frames, so the efficiency is a bit below the raw throughput,
but my tests were transferring 1.5Gb of data as raw frames - exactly the same way that Coriander would
write its data.

I'd bet a large sum of money that these hard disk figures are correct to within a few percent.

Also, when I am actually capturing I have timed by stopwatch how long the disk activity light
is on, and reached about the same conclusion.

Working the problem from the other direction, the only way to explain the early throttling that
I see would be if *almost no data* is being written to the disk, and this is plainly not the case. Even if
the disk were running at a greatly reduced rate of (say) 10MBytes/sec I would still see 86 seconds
of buffering before the throttle kicks in, and so far I have managed only to get to about 65 or 70.

regards, Anthony

--
Anthony Wesley
Director and IT/Network Consultant

Anthony.Wesley@acquerra.com.au
Phone: (02) 62595404 or 0419409836

  Last update: 2005-09-10 03:10    [W:0.052 / U:1.088 seconds]