    SubjectRe: [patch 0/4] ide: Break ide_lock to per-hwgroup lock
    On Maw, 2005-09-06 at 16:33 -0700, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
    > 2. Change the core ide code to use hwgroup->lock instead of ide_lock.
    > Deprecate ide_lock (patch 2)

    hwgroups and IDE locking requirements are frequently completely
    unrelated. Its clear from the changes proposed you've not tested on real
    hardware for each case and you have not studied the documented errata
    even for the controllers that are publically specified. This is peoples
    data you are endangering, not just risking the odd crash.

    > patches -- this is done now for piix controller only. Eventually,
    > we can change all controllers to remove ide_lock

    You could start by fixing the real locking bugs. Or at least trying to
    get known fixes past the maintainer and going from there.

      Last update: 2005-09-07 18:46    [W:0.021 / U:8.520 seconds]