SubjectRe: [patch] x86: fix ESP corruption CPU bug (take 2)
Stas, Petr,

I know it's been a while since this was discussed and integrated into
mainline, but I just now came across this, and following all of the
original discussion that I was able to locate I didn't see any mention
of a potential different approach to solving the problem which, as it
would appear to me, requires much less code changes: Instead of
allocating a separate stack to set intermediately, the 16-bit stack
segment could be mapped directly onto the normal, flat kernel stack,
thus requiring only an in-place stack change (without any copying of
contents) and an adjustment to the __switch_to code to change the base
address of that segment. Since this approach seems fairly natural I'm
sure it was actually considered, and I'd be curious to learn why it
wasn't chosen.

Thanks, Jan

  Last update: 2005-09-05 10:41    [W:0.120 / U:0.528 seconds]