    SubjectRe: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor
    On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 12:05:07AM +0200, Marc Giger wrote:
    > Hi Andrea
    >
    > Two little details:
    >
    > The following line does not print what you expect on
    > alpha's:
    >
    > MHZ = int(re.search(r' (\d+)\.?\d?',
    > os.popen("grep -i mhz /proc/cpuinfo | head -n
    > 1").read()).group(1))

    Thanks for reminding me about it ;)

    > Second, you should mention somewhere that it needs at minimum twisted
    > 1.3.0 to work correctly, did you?

    I didn't, I actually hoped it would work with older twisted too ;)

    > Oh, another point:
    > Some of my machines have long uptimes, and I won't it reboot
    > to just match the klive runtime. So the reported uptime
    > is (in my cases) far away from true.

    You don't need to reboot them, however I can't trust past uptimes or it
    would be way too easy to fake the results (it's still easy but it takes
    a lot more effort).

    > It is very interesting to see how often a vanilla/-git/-mm etc kernel is
    > tested. [..]

    This is the objective yes.

    > [..]. Perhaps klive could be extended to automatically report oopses
    > and/or other troubles if possible. What abut reporting core features
    > which are used on the machine like fs, scheduler, raid, lvm etc, so
    > that the devs can see which subsystem got a lot testing and what is
    > not used much?

    So it sounds like the next thing to do is to extend the protocol to add
    an _optional_ reporting of more info on the subsystems and hardware
    involved (turned off by default). About the oopses that will require
    kernel changes, and as per previous emails that'd be a very interesting
    feature to enable optionally too (via sysctl etc..).

    The old protocol (number 0) will stay, infact that will remain the
    default.

    Thanks.

      Last update: 2005-09-06 01:16    [W:0.023 / U:0.880 seconds]