SubjectRe: [Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining
On Llu, 2005-09-05 at 12:53 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > - How are they ref counted
> > - What are the cleanup semantics
> > - How do I pass a lock between processes (AF_UNIX sockets wont work now)
> > - How do I poll on a lock coming free.
> > - What are the semantics of lock ownership
> > - What rules apply for inheritance
> > - How do I access a lock across threads.
> > - What is the permission model.
> > - How do I attach audit to it
> > - How do I write SELinux rules for it
> > - How do I use mount to make namespaces appear in multiple vservers
> >
> > and thats for starters...
>
> Return an fd from create_lockspace().

That only answers about four of the questions. The rest only come out if
create_lockspace behaves like a file system - in other words
create_lockspace is better known as either mkdir or mount.

Its certainly viable to make the lock/unlock functions taken a fd, it's
just not clear why the current lock/unlock functions we have won't do
the job. Being able to extend the functionality to leases later on may
be very powerful indeed and will fit the existing API

  Last update: 2005-09-06 00:59    [W:0.118 / U:0.160 seconds]