    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel 2.6.13-rc7 (WORKS) (2.6.13, DRQ/System CRASH)
    On Llu, 2005-09-05 at 09:26 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > After DMA timeout driver reverted back to PIO,
    > ide-taskfile.c also holds PIO code besides IDE Taskfile Access.

    On SMP after a DMA timeout it will potentially freeze. There are some
    paths in that code which lead to double lock takes and hangs, plus some
    timer races.

    Justin can you make a backup (I mean that seriously), then build a
    kernel with spin lock debug enabled and see if you can reproduce the
    problem and get a trace.

    If its the locking you'll get a trace and the kernel will continue. At
    that point because the spinlock debug continues unsafely through a
    double lock after the trace you are in the "danger zone" hence the
    backup warning

    [Yes the spin lock debug code really should warn you its dangerous for
    non debug uses or get patched as it is in Fedora to trace and stop]

    If its a hardware or other problem it will still hang

    if its an unrelated lock problem it should still get a trace.

    Why you see this only on 2.6.13 not 2.6.13-rc7 I don't know. It makes me
    wonder if you have a bad drive - but then you imply going back to rc7
    goes back to stable. Can you therefore also check the .config options
    between the two kernels match.

      Last update: 2005-09-05 18:30    [W:0.020 / U:47.708 seconds]