SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.13 hangs / freezes with nvidia kernel module on switch to virtual console (also 2.6.12)
On 9/5/05, hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com> wrote:
> kernel 2.6.13 hangs / freezes with nvidia
> kernel module on switch to virtual console
>
> Running Debian testing and stable and built the kernel with the attached
> config. Then the NVidia installer was run. Everything boots and runs
> fine. X and Gnome come up and run. Switching to a Virtual Console
> locks up the system and shows some crazy colors.
>
> The system ran fine with the same configs until ~kernel 2.6.12.x and has
> exhibited this failing behavior since then with multiple kernels.
>
> The graphics card is a shown below and has two outputs both in use for
> two monitors. Thus the actual driver from NV is needed. I do not
> believe the Xfree nv driver supports dual head.

> NVidia version
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run <= from nvidia.com

Reproduce the problem without a binary only kernel module. Or in this
case, complain to nvidia.

It's impossible for kernel developers to debug a problem involving a
closed source module. The authors of that module will have to do the
fixing.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>