SubjectRe: [ATMSAR] Request for review - update #1
Date
Hi Alistair,

> > The instalation is currently (with firmware loader instead of modem_run)
> > very simple: USE="atm" emerge ppp, download firmware and place it in
> > /lib/firmware, compile the kernel with speedtch support.
>
> Compared to "place the firmware in /lib/firmware" on many other distros, this
> sounds like a lot of work! The kernel speedtch provides no advantages to its
> userspace alternative.

historically the main problem with using the kernel driver was getting hold of
an ATM aware pppd. The step "USE="atm" emerge ppp" looks like gentoos way of
installing such a pppd. Nowadays several major distributions ship with an
ATM aware pppd, so if you are using one there is nothing to be done. Likewise,
most distributions ship a kernel with speedtch support. So if you're using
such a distribution all you have to do to use the kernel driver is
"place the firmware in /lib/firmware".

On the other hand, it is misleading to say that with the user mode driver
all you have to do is place the firmware in /lib/firmware. That's only
true if your distribution (eg: Mandrake) explicitly supports the user mode
driver and has pre-installed and configured it for you. If you don't have
such a distribution then setting up the user mode driver, while not difficult,
does require some work.

> > I tried to use userspace driver some time ago but it wasn't working for me
> > so I gave up. I was using modem_run with kernel driver for long time to
> > load the firmware but there were many problems with it too (nearly every
> > kernel or modem_run upgrade was breaking something, modem_run was hanging
> > in D state in most unapropriate moments and so on).
>
> This is not the case any longer.

I'm the one who fixed most of those problems by the way.

> > Now I am using pure kernel driver and firmware loader and it works 100%
> > ok. There were no problems with it for long time. And I don't even want to
> > look at this userspace driver again.
>
> Conversely people (including myself) found the kernel implementation to be
> buggy, and when userspace breaks, you can simply restart it.. when the kernel
> breaks, you have to reboot.

Tell me what problems you've been seeing and I will try to fix them.

All the best,

Duncan.

  Last update: 2005-09-05 17:07    [W:0.062 / U:0.704 seconds]