SubjectRE: em64t speedstep technology not supported in kernel yet?

Actually, speedstep-centrino works in two modes. One OP()
table based mode and the other ACPI table based mode. So,
BIOS ACPI tables do matter for the second mode and things
work without a static OP table.

Also, OP() table based modes is not really scalable as one
has to enter new tabled for every new model and also not
complete as it cannot take ACPI events (say different
P-states for battery or AC on laptop, which may not matter
that much for Xeon...). That's the reason we want to have
ACPI/BIOS based speedstep as much as possible. Of course
there will always be broken BIOSes which we have
to workaround....

In this particular case though, for Xeon with Enhanced Speedstep,
acpi-cpufreq should be the driver of choice as there is a need
for coordination of HT siblings, which happen in BIOS at the
moment with most BIOSes. That is the reason, I want to make
sure BIOS supports Enhanced Speedstep in this case.

Thanks,
Venki

  Last update: 2005-09-30 15:22    [W:0.036 / U:0.416 seconds]