    SubjectRe: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel

    Hi Patrick,

    You have hit on one of the key word of my downfall.

    Specifications!!!

    I believe in them and they are the inflexable state machine which all OSes
    are required to address. Linux has a very bad history of avoiding the
    boundary conditions related to storage.

    I am for following the rules of the spec, and will bet Linus would now
    agree more so than before. The problem is SCSI is a strange beast without
    a formal FSM. It is more of a BusPhase psuedo stated transport. It is
    smart enough to laugh at bad software designs and keep going. Sheesh,
    look at M$'s miniport.

    This leads me to a point where a similar (but smarter) miniport could look
    interesting. However, this is also where the transport classes have their
    bases, afaics. Anyone please correct me where I have mistated (other than
    Linus, :-p).

    Luben, I have a vested interest in seeing SAS run via SCSI. So this means
    you have one ex-demi-god from the world of maintainers looking to pull you
    have towards the current path and open to ideas and willing to back a
    better design and push it.

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    LAD Storage Consulting Group

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Patrick Mansfield wrote:

    > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:37:03AM -0700, Luben Tuikov wrote:
    >
    > > never ever going in. Why else do you think IBM-ers agree with him that
    > > Linux SCSI doesn't need 64 bit LUNS?
    >
    > Please stop repeating that, no one said we should *not* implement a 64 bit
    > LUN in linux scsi, and James posted a patch for 64 bit LUN. I posted a
    > clarification in response to your earlier postings, you seem to have
    > ignored or forgotten this post:
    >
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-scsi&m=112671847228275&w=2
    >
    > I said:
    >
    > "I am talking about the scsi spec, not the code. IMO linux scsi code
    > should support W_LUN and 64 bit LUN."
    >
    > -- Patrick Mansfield
    > -

      Last update: 2005-09-28 22:01    [W:0.021 / U:0.240 seconds]