SubjectRe: Resource limits
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:26:10PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> Neil Horman wrote:

> > > Think about a DoS attack.
> >
> > Be more specific. Are you talking about a fork bomb, a ICMP flood, what?
>
> How would you deal with a situation where the system hit the threads-max
> ceiling?

Nominally I would log the inability to successfully create a new process/thread,
attempt to free some of my applications resources, and try again.

> > preventing resource starvation/exhaustion is often handled in a way thats
> > dovetailed to the semantics of how that resources is allocated (i.e. you
> > prevent syn-flood attacks differently than you manage excessive disk
> > usage).
>
> The issue here is a general lack of proper kernel support for resource
> limits. The fork problem is just an example.

Thats not really true. As Mr. Helsley pointed out, CKRM is available to provide
a level of class based resource management if you need it. By default you can
also create a level of resource limitation with ulimits as I mentioned. But no
matter what you do, the only way you can guarantee that a system will be able to
provide the resources your workload needs is to limit the number of resources
your workload asks for, and in the event it asks for too much, make sure it can
handle the denial of the resource gracefully.

Thanks and regards
Neil

> Thanks!
>
> --