SubjectRe: Remap_file_pages, RSS limits, security implications (was: Re: [uml-devel] Re: [RFC] [patch 0/18] remap_file_pages protection support (for UML), try 3)
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Blaisorblade wrote:

> Other pages in the VMA may be unmapped, yes, but not freed. In fact, they're
> kept in by the pagecache reference; try_to_unmap() (or better its caller,
> shrink_list) will only actually free the page it asked for.

Not freed in that pass, yes; but brought closer to being freed soon.

> The only real "problem" is that we do ptep_clear_flush_young without
> activating the page. And yes, *this* may penalize who holds a nonlinear VMA.
> But this is probably fair, given that we're going to have trouble in freeing
> those pages.

Good point, I don't remember ever considering that.
But agree it should work out fairly.

> > mm/trash.c? I got quite excited,
> What would that have meant?

Trash is rubbish or garbage. Or if I trash my hotel room (not me!),
I'd rip the washbasin off the wall, smash the mirror, throw the
chair through the window, ... hmm, better stop this public fantasy.

Hugh

  Last update: 2005-09-21 18:54    [W:0.686 / U:0.008 seconds]