SubjectRe: ieee80211 updates
On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:41:14AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Michael Wu wrote:
> >If it has a version, then only the maintainer can submit patches -
>
> False. Presence of an optional label in source code files does not
> change the fundamental rules of open source, or the processes
> surrounding patch merging in the Linux kernel. Anybody who feels the
> version number should be changed is welcome to submit a patch. And a
> reviewer along the line is welcome to reject such a patch, if they think
> it is unwarranted.
>
> >otherwise the
> >version is useless for identifying what code you're running. (unless other
>
> False. We have plenty of examples of slower-moving drivers where
> community consensus often dictates a version number change.

This is also the reason for the 'srcversion' field available in
modinfo. This is a CRC across the source code for a given module (not
counting #include<*>, but counting #include "*"). The version field
may not change, but if anything really cares about a particular source
code copy, and that it hasn't been patched, but the version field not
updated, they can see that.

Thanks to Rusty for implementing this.

Thanks,
Matt