SubjectRe: NUMA mempolicy /proc code in mainline shouldn't have been merged
On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:11:20AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> However, one still does not know which memory section (vma) is allocated
> on which nodes. And this may be important since critical data may need to

Maybe. Well sure of things could be maybe important. Or maybe not.
Doesn't seem like a particularly strong case to add a lot of ugly
code though.

> External memory policy management is a necessary feature for system
> administration, batch process scheduling as well as for testing and
> debugging a system.

I'm not convinced of this at all. Most of these things proposed so far
can be done much simpler with 90% of the functionality (e.g. just swapoff
per process for migration) , and I haven't seen a clear rationale except
for lots of maybes that the missing 10% are worth all the complexity
you seem to plan to add.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-09-19 21:43    [W:0.041 / U:0.748 seconds]