SubjectRe: ptrace can't be transparent on readonly MAP_SHARED
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 08:12:59AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> have a PROT_READONLY/PROT_NONE area that is visible from the debugger, but
> continues to cause SIGSEGV's if the user process itself tries to access
> it. To me, that's good.

Continue to cause sigsegv yes, but on the wrong page, when it will read
the page it can contain different data compared to what is on
disk/pagecache.

> There would have to be some real advantage to _not_ doing what we're doing
> now. And I don't see an advantage.

The advantage is a faster fast path and less special cases to keep in
mind.

> The real complexity is not "maybe_mkwrite()", which is trivial. The real

It is trivial yes, but for it to work without deadlocks, it requires
non-trivial changes to the page fault handler and get_user_pages.

I guess this is mostly a matter of taste, but my taste is about keeping
it simple and fast (though the difference is certainly not measurable).

Thanks.

  Last update: 2005-09-15 17:49    [W:0.073 / U:0.344 seconds]