SubjectRe: Remove devfs from 2.6.13
Kill it now and ignore these die-hard fanatics. They just can't
imagine a world in which there's no devfs to be found anywhere in the
kernel. When nostalgia takes over them, someone can just show them the
way to the kernel archives. There have been much greater changes in
the kernel than the proposed removal of a system that has become
nothing more than a fat pile of dead, stinky decomposing code, laying
around waiting for someone to burry it in the past and get rid of the
stench.

On 9/14/05, Greg KH <gregkh@suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:00:49PM -0700, Mike Bell wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:09:06PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Said people who like devfs are lazy and don't like running userspace
> > > programs.
> >
> > I hardly consider myself lazy or a hater of user space programs. I've
> > been an early adopter running unstable series kernels and testing out
> > new features since long before devfs went into the kernel. In the past
> > I've been quick to switch over to new ways of doing things as they came
> > into the kernel, even when it required a fair bit of time and effort to
> > migrate.
> >
> > What I don't like is when someone arbitrarily declares that their
> > half-finished project obsoletes a working one, and yet even a full year
> > later with a massive development community using the latest kernel
> > features (sometimes added specifically for that project) it isn't a full
> > replacement for a project that has been - in your own words -
> > unmaintained for years and years.
>
> What part of devfs does udev not support? From what I remember, the
> first version of udev, a binary about 5k in size, pretty much
> implemented all of what devfs did.
>
> Remember that the main goal of udev is persistant names, which devfs can
> not do at all.
>
> > > They pretty much also are pretty restricted to embedded systems.
> > > That's all I have been able to determine so far. Care to help flush
> > > this profile out some?
> >
> > Probably because they're the people building linux systems from scratch
> > and caring about the size and speed of the result?
>
> Size is smaller with udev, you have a userspace program, no unswapable
> kernel memory. Speed is probably even faster, have you tried udev using
> the netlink interface?
>
> > > My applogies, I used the OSS compatible module for ALSA when I tested
> > > this out.
> >
> > And while some input subsystem users force you to specify a device node,
> > this method is incompatible with hotplugging so the more advanced ones
> > rely on finding the input device nodes where they're supposed to be, as
> > they should.
>
> I don't understand the problem here. input devices work just fine with
> ndevfs, you just have to point your program to the proper node, as
> ndevfs does not support subdirectories.
>
> > > Hm, ok, ALSA will not work. Can you point to anything else?
> >
> > See above.
>
> You didn't point out any specific devices that ndevfs doesn't support.
>
> > And of course ndevfs doesn't create the device nodes that udev
> > doesn't support (yes, even in 2.6.12 devfs still supported more devices
> > than udev on my test system).
>
> What devices are lacking udev support? I don't know of any in-kernel
> devices, with the exception of isdn (for which the maintainer of that
> subsystem is working on it, along with a major rewrite).
>
> > Those are just the things that bit me on the one system I tried ndevfs
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-09-15 04:13    [W:0.057 / U:0.992 seconds]