    SubjectRe: -git11 breaks parisc and sh even more

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

    > The parisc tree hasn't been merged with Linus in a long time because I
    > find git completely impossible to use. The howtos are all out of date
    > and contradict each other. They don't tell me what I need to know.
    > Everybody who uses them has their own collection of private scripts that
    > work around the worst misfeatures. It's a complete fucking disaster.

    Actually, that's not true. I was asking people what scripts they use the
    other day, and was surprised to learn that they don't use any at all.

    And especially if you use git itself - _without_ any special scripts, the
    git mailing list is actually active and quite helpful. I haven't seen you
    ask anything there.. Hint hint..

    > The Debian cogito package doesn't have half the tools mentioned in the
    > howtos, as well as being months out of date. Last time I had the energy
    > to fight with it, it didn't even support pack files.

    Now _that_ is true. You can't depend on vendor packaging. They are _way_
    too slow. For now, you absolutely have to do it yourself.

    (Well, "absolutely have to" may not be true - you can find RPM's etc, but
    you might as well resign yourself to it for the next few months).

    Just do this:

    - get the last daily snapshot from

    http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/git-snapshots/git/

    (this is mentioned in the overview, btw, directly reachable from
    www.kernel.org/git, so it's even well documented)

    - compile and install it: "make" + "make install"

    - just as an exercise (and because it's a lot smaller than the kernel
    and thus downloads much faster), get the git.git tree:

    git clone rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git git-tree
    cd git-tree
    git checkout
    make
    make install

    and you've now gotten the most up-to-date git there is. The nice thing
    about this is that going an update is now

    git pull origin

    so you can trivially keep track of it forever after.

    - now you're getting ready to get a _real_ project. This will take some
    time.

    git clone \
    rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
    kernel-tree
    cd kernel-tree
    git checkout

    and you have the kernel sources. On my 1.5Mbps DSL line, it takes about
    ten minutes, because you're downloading about 80MB of stuff (and
    the checkout unpacks 17,000 files and takes 5 seconds for me, but a
    _lot_ more if you don't have tons of memory to cache the thing). But
    it's not horrible.

    - play around.

    And git really isn't that hard to use any more. If you tried it two months
    ago, it was a _lot_ more complicated. These days, if you can work with
    CVS, it's a hell of a lot more pleasant than that ;)

    (It doesn't have a really nice graphical merge tool like BK did, for
    example: you end up having to resolve merge clashes the CVS way by
    searching for "<<<<<"/"======"/">>>>>>" markers.. The good news is that
    it gets merge clashes pretty infrequently - I get them maybe once a week,
    and I merge a _lot_)

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:3.900 / U:0.608 seconds]