    SubjectRe: [RFC][MEGAPATCH] Change __ASSEMBLY__ to __ASSEMBLER__ (defined by GCC from 2.95 to current CVS)
    On Sep 12, 2005, at 17:14:26, Paul Jackson wrote:
    > Sam wrote:
    >> ... for absolutely no gain.
    > I hear the usual and reasonable arguments on one side,
    > favoring consolidating the headers.
    > The final phrase "absolutely no gain" suggests a lack
    > of consideration for the usual and reasonable arguments
    > that no doubt exist on the other side.

    I dunno about Sam, but I've looked at this a lot, and there really
    seem to
    be no advantages to keeping them separate. There's a lot of cruft in
    kernel headers, and in many cases a lack of organization. By keeping
    user-accessible kernel-headers separate, you save work in the short term
    by putting off cleaning up that cruft, but in the long term you have
    the maintenance burden, in addition to the fact that you'll need to
    up the cruft eventually anyways. The user-space-accessible versions
    be identical to the kernel-space-accessible ones except without some
    private kernel stuff. Also, by having the separation _within_ the
    tree, we can help trigger more thought about kernel/user ABI for new
    drivers, because it's much more obvious exactly what the userspace
    interface is when it goes in. It also makes it much easier to have a
    template header file to show driver authors how to get their user/kernel
    interfaces correct the first time. If someone sees something about this
    that I'm missing, then please tell me, but as far as I can tell, keeping
    this project out of the kernel would give "absolutely no gain" over
    doing it in kernel, and would in fact result in massive amounts of
    duplicated effort ("You forgot to patch user-kernel-headers to add your
    shiny new IOCTL!"). It also is dismissive to suckers^H^H^H^H^H^Hpeople
    who are willing to invest effort in cleaning up kernel headers, removing
    messy include cycles, breaking up monoliths like linux/sched.h, etc.

    Kyle Moffett

    Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things,
    because that
    would also stop them from doing clever things.
    -- Doug Gwyn

      Last update: 2005-09-12 23:42    [W:0.020 / U:3.252 seconds]